home

As I Am A Woman

First published in Women's Era, Jan 2005

As I Am a Woman

I balance on the beam
of the round moon as it wanes
exulting in the fullness
of my radiance,
resting in the hollow
of my dark.

I ride the white crest
of the ocean waves,
rising and falling
with the cycle of tides,
celebrating the power
of my formidable might,
reflecting in the depth
of my soul.

I circle the earth
with the time of seasons,
bearing the life
that bursts from my womb,
burying the dead
so they rest in my tomb,
feeding the weak
to help them grow,
weeping for the weary
who couldn't wait till tomorrow.

But the sun will rise again,
this I know,
surely as it will set,
the tides will rise again
surely as they will fall,
spring will knock anew
surely as winter will bid adieu.

This I know
for I am the sun, the moon,
the tide, the earth, the seasons.
This I know surely
as I am a woman.
This I know
as I am the rhythm of existence.

No comments: